Friday, May 25, 2012

DESPERATE JOURNEY (1942)

An Royal Air Force bomber is shot down deep in Nazi territory and now the surviving crew, lead by Errol Flynn, must make their way back to England, but not without making a few detours to cause some chaos and crack a bunch of jokes. I was a little bit taken back by the light-hearted nature of the film, but once I understood that the film was probably meant to cheer up Americans back home I got into and enjoyed the film for what it was. The chemistry between the leads is good and I was pleasantly surprised to see Raymond Massey as Nazi Major hot on their trail.

For an old WWII propaganda film, DESPERATE JOURNEY is entertaining enough, but honestly with a cast like that (not to mention director Raoul Walsh) I was expecting more. Worth watching, but nothing to get overly excited about.
Hardy-har-har. You get it? His last two movies co-starred Ann Sheridan.