Friday, July 5, 2013

INVADERS FROM MARS (1953)

A little boy wakes up in the middle of the night and sees a spaceship landing on the other side of a hill in his backyard.  He frantically tells his dad who goes to investigate.  When his dad comes back he calmly says there wasn't any spaceship and then starts acting like an asshole.  The boy freaks out and runs all around the joint yelling and hollering until he finally gets the attention of a doctor and a scientist who help him investigate what's really going on behind his house.

I'd heard my great things about INVADERS FROM MARS over they years, but watching it now I can only assume that all of those people who said great things about this film actually saw it as a child when it first came out and it traumatized the shit out of them, cause this sucker bored the hell out of me.  I was shocked at how cheap it looked.  If this was the kind of film that was making money back in 1953 then I can see why Ed Wood, Jr. thought he could make movies!  I'd watched PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE a dozen times before I watched this clunker again.

Crap looking sets, stiff acting, boring pace, mountains upon mountains of stock footage of tanks driving around, silly looking aliens.  I would imagine kids today would claw their eyes out if they had to watch this.  Good as a historical curiosity only.

Remake 1 - Invaders from Mars (1986)